BDD Kickstart - 2 day BDD training
It's been a few years since our last public course on the West Coast and we're returning to deliver our flagship Behaviour-Driven Development training, BDD Kickstart. You will gain a fundamental understanding of the techniques and tools associated with BDD and be able to explain the benefits to your colleagues.
This course is based on proven and practical techniques, which we've taught to hundreds of ambitious teams around the world. 92% of attendees score the class 4/5 or 5/5.
If you are considering implementing Behaviour-Driven Development practices into your team, this is the ideal course for you.
Download our BDD Benefits PDF to learn more about how BDD can impact your business.
Day 1 - BDD Fundamentals
The first day is applicable to "the whole team". (BAs, product owners, domain experts, UX designers, developers, testers, and any other important stakeholders).
Day 1 will give a thorough introduction to BDD, which is the process that Cucumber supports. There is no automation on this day; the focus is on analysis and collaboration techniques.
We’ll teach you Example Mapping - a powerful technique we have developed to help business, IT and QA break requirements down into concrete examples. This exposes misunderstandings early and will help you write better executable specifications and automated tests later.
- The fundamental principles and practices of BDD
- The importance of Rules and Examples
- Translating examples into Gherkin - Cucumber’s format for executable specifications
- Conversation patterns for discovering edge cases
- The importance of a ubiquitous language for problems and solutions
- Using Example Mapping and Discovery Workshops to achieve shared understanding
- Roles and responsibilities on a BDD team
Day 2 - BDD with Cucumber
This day is a solid introduction to test-driven development (TDD) with Cucumber. You will learn to write executable specifications with Gherkin - Cucumber’s plain-text format for automated tests. You will also learn how to use Cucumber to drive the development of a system, and see the design of the system gradually emerge. You’ll end up with a system that does the right thing, and is easy to test.
This day is designed for developers and testers, non-technical people are welcome, but they may find things start to get beyond their comfort zone.
- Installing Cucumber and setting up your development environment
- The TDD / BDD cycle
- Writing your first scenario
- Writing step definitions
- Using parameters in step definitions
- Techniques to keep your test code clean
- Backgrounds, Tags, Tables, Scenario Outlines and other Gherkin tricks
- Domain modelling by Example
- Costs & benefits of working test-first
Seb is a software developer, trainer and coach. He specialises in working with teams adopting and refining their agile practices, with a particular focus on delivering software through the use of examples using BDD and TDD. Seb is the co-author of The Cucumber for Java Book together with Matt and Aslak. He has worked with many well-known companies, such as Amazon, IBM, NCR, HBOS, Standard Life and Aegon. Seb is a partner of Cucumber Ltd.
Seb can be found on Twitter, @sebrose
Have a question about the course? Email us.