BDD Kickstart - 2 day BDD training
By the end of our BDD Kickstart training you will have a strong understanding of the techniques and tools associated with BDD and be able to explain the benefits to your colleagues.
This course is based on proven and practical techniques, which we've taught to hundreds of ambitious teams around the world. If you are considering implementing Behaviour-Driven Development practices into your team, this is the ideal course for you.
Day 1 - BDD Fundamentals
The first day is applicable to "the whole team". (BAs, product owners, domain experts, UX designers, developers, testers, and any other important stakeholders).
Day 1 will give a thorough introduction to Behaviour-Driven Development, which is the process that Cucumber supports. There is no automation on this day; the focus is on analysis and collaboration techniques.
We’ll teach you Example Mapping - a powerful technique we have developed to help business, IT and QA break requirements down into concrete examples. This exposes misunderstandings early and will help you write better executable specifications and automated tests later.
- The fundamental principles and practices of BDD
- The importance of Rules and Examples
- Translating examples into Gherkin - Cucumber’s format for executable specifications
- Conversation patterns for discovering edge cases
- The importance of a ubiquitous language for problems and solutions
- Using Example Mapping and Discovery Workshops to achieve shared understanding
- Roles and responsibilities on a BDD team
Day 2 - BDD with Cucumber
This day is a solid introduction to test-driven development (TDD) with Cucumber. You will learn to write executable specifications with Gherkin - Cucumber’s plain-text format for automated tests. You will also learn how to use Cucumber to drive the development of a system, and see the design of the system gradually emerge. You’ll end up with a system that does the right thing, and is easy to test.
This day is designed for developers and testers, non-technical people are welcome, but they may find things start to get beyond their comfort zone.
- Installing Cucumber and setting up your development environment
- The TDD / BDD cycle
- Writing your first scenario
- Writing step definitions
- Using parameters in step definitions
- Techniques to keep your test code clean
- Backgrounds, Tags, Tables, Scenario Outlines and other Gherkin tricks
- Domain modelling by Example
- Costs & benefits of working test-first
Training Location + Times
Each day will start at 9 AM and finish at 4 PM.
Have a question about the course? Email us.