Check out our 2018 edition of CukenFest London with our bolt-on BDD training course Learn more
Contact us if you have any questions.
BDD Kickstart - 2 day BDD training
BDD Kickstart is a two-day training in the fundamentals of Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) and Cucumber. Thousands of agile teams are benefiting from clearer understanding and greater collaboration between business and IT that BDD brings.
By the end of this course you will acquire the fundamental technical and non-technical skills required to confidently practise BDD.
This course is based on proven and practical techniques, which we've taught to hundreds of ambitious teams around the world.
Both days will be led by Aslak Hellesøy, the creator of Cucumber and author of The Cucumber Book. A rare opportunity to learn about Cucumber and BDD from the creator himself.
Discover how BDD can help your organisation by downloading our BDD Benefits PDF.
Day 1 - BDD Fundamentals
The first day is applicable to "the whole team". (BAs, product owners, domain experts, UX designers, developers, testers, and any other important stakeholders).
Day 1 will give a thorough introduction to BDD, which is the process that Cucumber supports. There is no automation on this day; the focus is on analysis and collaboration techniques.
We’ll teach you Example Mapping - a powerful technique we have developed to help business, IT and QA break requirements down into concrete examples. This exposes misunderstandings early and will help you write better executable specifications and automated tests later.
- The fundamental principles and practices of BDD
- The importance of Rules and Examples
- Translating examples into Gherkin - Cucumber’s format for executable specifications
- Conversation patterns for discovering edge cases
- The importance of a ubiquitous language for problems and solutions
- Using Example Mapping and Discovery Workshops to achieve shared understanding
- Roles and responsibilities on a BDD team
Day 2 - BDD with Cucumber
This day is a solid introduction to test-driven development (TDD) with Cucumber. You will learn to write executable specifications with Gherkin - Cucumber’s plain-text format for automated tests. You will also learn how to use Cucumber to drive the development of a system, and see the design of the system gradually emerge. You’ll end up with a system that does the right thing, and is easy to test.
This day is designed for developers and testers, non-technical people are welcome, but they may find things start to get beyond their comfort zone.
- Installing Cucumber and setting up your development environment
- The TDD / BDD cycle
- Writing your first scenario
- Writing step definitions
- Using parameters in step definitions
- Techniques to keep your test code clean
- Backgrounds, Tags, Tables, Scenario Outlines and other Gherkin tricks
- Domain modelling by Example
- Costs & benefits of working test-first
Aslak Hellesøy is the creator of Cucumber and co-founder of Cucumber Limited. He is a co-author of The Cucumber Book and an early adopter of XP and BDD.
Aslak works as a programmer, software architect, business owner and trainer in a variety of industries, including finance, telecom and retail.
CukenFest London - June 21st-25th
BDD Kickstart is part of CukenFest London, our series of events for the BDD and Agile community happening in June. The course will be followed by CukeUp! a one-day single track conference brimming with ideas and inspiration, ended with a weekend open-space conference. View the line-up and learn more about CukenFest here