BDD Kickstart is a two-day training in the fundamentals of Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) and Cucumber. Thousands of agile teams are benefiting from clearer understanding and greater collaboration between business and IT that BDD brings.
By the end of this course you will acquire the fundamental technical and non-technical skills required to begin.
This course is based on proven and practical techniques, which we've taught to hundreds of ambitious teams around the world.
Both days are led by Dr. Charles Suscheck, one of the first Cucumber Approved Trainers in the USA.
Discover how BDD can help your organisation by downloading our BDD Benefits PDF.
Day 1 - BDD Fundamentals
Day 1 will give a thorough introduction to BDD, which is the process that Cucumber supports. There is no automation on this day; the focus is on analysis and collaboration techniques.
We’ll teach you Example Mapping - a powerful technique we have developed to help business, IT and QA break requirements down into concrete examples. This exposes misunderstandings early and will help you write better executable specifications and automated tests later.
- The fundamental principles and practices of BDD
- The importance of Rules and Examples
- Translating examples into Gherkin - Cucumber’s format for executable specifications
- Conversation patterns for discovering edge cases
- The importance of a ubiquitous language for problems and solutions
- Using Example Mapping and Discovery Workshops to achieve shared understanding
- Roles and responsibilities on a BDD team
Day 2 - BDD with Cucumber
This day is a solid introduction to test-driven development (TDD) with Cucumber. You will learn to write executable specifications with Gherkin - Cucumber’s plain-text format for automated tests. You will also learn how to use Cucumber to drive the development of a system, and see the design of the system gradually emerge. You’ll end up with a system that does the right thing, and is easy to test.
- Installing Cucumber and setting up your development environment
- The TDD / BDD cycle
- Writing your first scenario
- Writing step definitions
- Using parameters in step definitions
- Techniques to keep your test code clean
- Backgrounds, Tags, Tables, Scenario Outlines and other Gherkin tricks
- Domain modelling by Example
- Costs & benefits of working test-first
Dr. Charles Suscheck
Dr.Suscheck specializes in agile software development methodologies, and project management. He is one of the first Cucumber Approved Trainers in the US and one of only 6 people in the world certified to teach the entire scrum.org curriculum. He has over 25 years of professional experience in information technology, beginning his career as a software developer. Dr. Suscheck holds a Doctorate, Masters, and Bachelors in Computer Science. He holds multiple certifications in agile and management. An educator at heart, he has over 30 published articles, has taught over 1000 students software development and is a highly respected conference speaker.
More about Chuck can be found on Linkedin at www.suscheck.com
Training Partner and Location
This course is available at Springhouse Education and Consulting Services.
Both days will be held in their Exton, PA (Philadelphia area) offices at
Eagleview Corporate Park
707 Eagleview Boulevard Suite 207
Exton, PA 1934
The training is facility is a 40-minute drive from Philadelphia International Airport and downtown Philadelphia.
Contact [email protected] if you have any questions.