BDD Kickstart - 2 day BDD training
BDD Kickstart is a two-day training in the fundamentals of Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) and Cucumber. Thousands of agile teams are benefiting from clearer understanding and greater collaboration between business and IT that BDD brings. By the end of this course you will the fundamental technical and non-technical skills required for your team to start.
You will be taught by Matt Wynne and Gáspár Nagy.
Matt is one of the world's leading BDD practitioners. A programmer, coach, trainer and popular international speaker, he was as invited to join the Cucumber core team in 2009. Together with Aslak Hellesøy, he's co-author of The Cucumber Book, Behaviour-Driven Development for Developers and Testers and a co-founder of Cucumber Ltd, the company behind Cucumber.
Gáspár Nagy is the creator and main contributor of SpecFlow, the most widely used ATDD/BDD framework for .NET. Gáspár is an independent coach, trainer and test automation expert focusing on helping teams implementing BDD and SpecFlow through his company, called Spec Solutions.
Discover how BDD can help your organisation by downloading our BDD Benefits PDF.
Day 1 - BDD Fundamentals
The first day is applicable to "the whole team". (BAs, product owners, domain experts, UX designers, developers, testers, and any other important stakeholders).
Day 1 will give a thorough introduction to BDD, which is the process that Cucumber supports. There is no automation on this day; the focus is on analysis and collaboration techniques.
We’ll teach you Example Mapping - a powerful technique we have developed to help business, IT and QA break requirements down into concrete examples. This exposes misunderstandings early and will help you write better executable specifications and automated tests later.
- The fundamental principles and practices of BDD
- The importance of Rules and Examples
- Translating examples into Gherkin - Cucumber’s format for executable specifications
- Conversation patterns for discovering edge cases
- The importance of a ubiquitous language for problems and solutions
- Using Example Mapping and Discovery Workshops to achieve shared understanding
- Roles and responsibilities on a BDD team
Day 2 - BDD with Cucumber
This day is a solid introduction to test-driven development (TDD) with Cucumber. You will learn to write executable specifications with Gherkin - Cucumber’s plain-text format for automated tests. You will also learn how to use Cucumber to drive the development of a system, and see the design of the system gradually emerge. You’ll end up with a system that does the right thing, and is easy to test.
Non-technical people are welcome to stick around for this day, but they may find things start to get beyond their comfort zone.
- Installing Cucumber and setting up your development environment
- The TDD / BDD cycle
- Writing your first scenario
- Writing step definitions
- Using parameters in step definitions
- Techniques to keep your test code clean
- Backgrounds, Tags, Tables, Scenario Outlines and other Gherkin tricks
- Domain modelling by Example
- Costs & benefits of working test-first